What is CBD Oil?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound found in cannabis and hemp. CBD oil does not contain delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBD is derived from hemp and not from marijuana.
What are Cannabinoids?
Cannabinoids are chemicals found in the cannabis plant. While scientists have identified at least 113 different chemicals found in the plant, two have become the most popular: Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD). THC causes the “high” in marijuana while CBD is derived from hemp and doesn’t cause a high.
What are the benefits/uses of Cannabinoids?
A relatively short time ago, countless scientific studies and research showed that receptors located throughout the body respond to active element in cannabinoids and their benefits in humans as well as our furry friends – with more possible uses as a benefit from their studies.
- Alleviating pain and inflammation
- Diseases such as: arthritis
- Stress and Anxiety (1)
- Increasing appetite
- Regulates sleep
- Digestive Tract issues
- Neuropathic pain
- Helping to control epileptic seizures (2)
- Improve Muscle control
- Fighting cancer (3)
- Helping kill cancer cells
- Reduce nausea
- Increase effectiveness of chemotherapy
How to choose CBD for your dog
With many options on the market, it’s important to research the best option for your pet. A few recommendations for picking the right product for your pet.
- Look for National Animal Supplement Counsel (NASC) Seal of Quality Assurance
- Review ingredients (4)
- Third Party Certificate of Analysis (bonus: posted findings)
- Choose Broad Spectrum
- Look for Organic
- Don’t shop price only
- Liquid is best
- Review the MG amount and decide what is best
- It is recommended to start low and increase MG as needed/desired
Before introducing, any new product be sure to discuss with your pet’s primary veterinarian.
Christina Burns Loff is as a full-time working pet mom. Her love of animals goes back to her childhood where she used to rescue animals big and small and bring them home to her family. Always an avid pet owner, cats specifically, she adopted her first dog in 2012 where her zest for learning and finding healthy options for her pets has become a passion of hers. She is excited to begin sharing her knowledge with a larger audience.
Her mantra: Remember pet parenthood is a privilege and an honor; try to find new ways to share new experiences with your furry family- life is short!
- National Day Calendar. (2020) National Pet CBD Month – October.
- Journals.Physiology.org. A Lingresti et al. (2016 September 14) From Phytocannabinoids to Cannabinoid Receptors and Endocannabinoids: Pleiotropic Physiological and Pathological Roles Through Complex Pharmacology.
- Risk Factors for Canine Osteoarthritis and Its Predisposing Arthropathies: A Systematic Review – PMC (nih.gov)
- CBD Oil for Dogs: What Is It and What Does It Do? (akc.org)